Anyone playing the beta?

Please only post topics related to the Planetside franchise here.

Moderator: l2es-brune

l2es-monkeyaidsuk

Anyone playing the beta?

Post by l2es-monkeyaidsuk » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:38 pm

Looking at paying for the Alpha, but is the game any good? Also, is there a monthly subscription fee for this, if so how much? Tried looking on google, but too lazy to read. Also, who will be playing this, as I cant see it being much fun playing on your own? Who am I kiddin, i'll only get to play an hour a week if lucky.

l2es-brune
Planetside 2 moderator

Post by l2es-brune » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:51 pm

I'll try and post a bit of a review of the current state of affairs some time this week (screenies, impressions, good/bad points etc)

As someone who has not experienced the original I'm guessing you will love it, Tinsle can give an impression on what it's like for a newbie to the world of planetside.

They are continuously improving and tweaking it and seem to be listening to the community but for a lot of planetside vets, me included, it's a little bit disappointing as they really need to sort out the gameplay mechanics and rethink some of their design choices as it currently does not measure up to expectations.

For you graphics whores it does not look too shabby at all, in fact it looks great and night time battles are awesome!

l2es-monkeyaidsuk

Post by l2es-monkeyaidsuk » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:08 pm

cheers, which faction should i chose?

l2es-brune
Planetside 2 moderator

Post by l2es-brune » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:50 pm

New Conglomerate! :D

l2es-roguesamurai

Post by l2es-roguesamurai » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:37 pm

There's no monthly subs Monkey, its ftp.
I signed up for beta, but no luck yet. Only forum spammers are getting access it seems at the mo.

l2es-monkeyaidsuk

Post by l2es-monkeyaidsuk » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:21 am

l2es-brune
Planetside 2 moderator

Post by l2es-brune » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:41 am

That is 4000 Station Cash and will be used to buy cosmetic stuff, boosts, unlocks and the like. When PS2 goes live our SOE accounts will be transferred to the German company who will be handling all the EU accounts ( :( )

As for your problemo.

What anti-virus are you using? It seems to have stemmed from the last hotfix.
Hey guys, we are currently investigating in the matter. In the meantime, please make sure all antivirus programs and firewalls have Planetside 2 set as an exception. Try running a cleanboot as well!

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/inde ... -12.20555/

I hope this helps m8. Give me a shout on steam tonight if you want some help/advice on the game etc :)

l2es-monkeyaidsuk

Post by l2es-monkeyaidsuk » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:49 am

Cheers, I'll try and get on tonight. So the credits are pointless, you can't buy guns? Does everything including credits carry over to main game when released?

l2es-brune
Planetside 2 moderator

Post by l2es-brune » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:10 pm

The credits won't become relevant until release. Nothing will carry over, beta = resets/wipes.

l2es-BedlamBob

Post by l2es-BedlamBob » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:27 pm

Hi Guys,

Got into Beta last night so loaded and jumped in for half an hour before bed.
Bit overwhelming at first of course, but I managed to kill a few people, hold a resource point and try all the classes a little bit after each of my many deaths.
I am going to be doing some reading up on what the hell to do, and will hope to catch some of you in game over the weekend?

l2es-chunkymr

Post by l2es-chunkymr » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:35 pm

Yes i am

l2es-Apollo

Post by l2es-Apollo » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:49 am

i gave it a go with crytor. it has nice nice feel to it and reminds me of BF2 with the large mapes and game style.

i was not going to bother with this game but now that i have tryed the beta, i think i will be getting it.

just not sure what fraction to go with ... ( i think Elgordo will like this )

l2es-brune
Planetside 2 moderator

Post by l2es-brune » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:59 am

Guys PLAY New Conglomerate :) Not currently playing too much, don't want to over do it and I'm waiting for some improvements to the capture mechanics and hopefully some base redesigns, still needs to be closer to the original in some aspects for it to be truly great for me.

l2es-roguesamurai

Post by l2es-roguesamurai » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:20 pm

I've given it a go twice now. It seems quite good, but takes some getting used to. I sometimes find it hard to tell the difference between my own team and the other teams. The red tag above the head doesn't always appear, then if you dont shoot you get killed as its an enemy, when you do shoot you get a team kill as it turns out to be one of your own :?
The in game menu is a bit large for my liking, but I suppose when you get used to navigating it you'd be ok.
Servers seem quite laggy at the moment, but then it is only the beta, and my connection is very unreliable lately so a big part of this prob may be my end.
I like the jet pack. Not overly keen on the way the aircraft handle, and the controls for them, eg holding space bar to make it go up.
Map is huge, which is good (providing theirs always enough players).
When I loaded the game last night, I could jump back into the server I was on a couple of nights before, still with my score, never played an mmo of any type before so was good to see how it was gonna work.
Graphics are ok, its free to play which is great.
How do you get to be the really heavilly armed guy?? I go into customise kit, choose him, but it never spawns me as him :?
Not spent much time on it so far, but I think it has potential.
Some players really take their time, they all get into a craft, then have a debate and plan tactics about which base to go for before taking off. Then, half way their get shot down 8O not very COD like :D
We should be a busy clan for a few months with this, BO2, MOH (if anyone plays it), and for me BF3 is still worth playing although haven't played it for a few weeks now.
I played as new conglomerates Bune. This could be good if we all get on the same server, and all squad up. We could do some damage.

l2es-monkeyaidsuk

Post by l2es-monkeyaidsuk » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:11 pm

Played this over the weekend with Apollo, Crytor and Chunky. Such good fun, and cheers guys for showing me what to do. I can easily see this game become a firm favorite, especially as squad sizes are so large, we could all play together.

I am going to try and get on tonight while war z fails to download.