GTA 4 First Impressions

Discussion of GTA only in this forum please.
l2es-mrix
Community Founder

GTA 4 First Impressions

Post by l2es-mrix » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:20 pm

Hi all, finally managed to install this game today after its huge download :cry:
I have also managed to play it and found it pretty good :D
The city is huge and very detailed 8O
I am dissapointed about not having anti aliasing though which is a big suprise not to have it in new game releases as it does take the edge of the graphics which could be so much better with it.
Saying that, its one of those lasting games you can pick and put down which I personally like :D
This is the type of game I am not out to finish in a hurry just to savour and enjoy the experience :D
Cheers all
|2es-mrix

l2es-Apollo

Post by l2es-Apollo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:20 pm

hmmmmm : /

l2es-MooK

Post by l2es-MooK » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:15 pm

Visualy once they fix the AA or atleast allow it to be forced it will easily be the best game graphically simply because of the sheer scale of the game ive played the starting missions its an incredible game theres sooo much in it every tiny detail is there and the story couldt be any better i just hope they hurry up and patch in AA options soon or let us force it.

Me and cyrus have aplyed o bit of multiplayer also which is crazy good fun no limit tbh on what you can do and whe you get alot on there its gonna be mad
ImageImage

l2es-brune
Planetside 2 moderator

Post by l2es-brune » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:14 pm

I like the idea that you can upload your own music. Wasn't impressed with the last GTA outing and was never fussed about this one, but all this talk gets my "temptation glands" tingling.

A lot of people saying it is unfinished and bugged to hell out in internet land apparently any truth in this?

|2es-Cyrus_The_Virus

Post by |2es-Cyrus_The_Virus » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:00 pm

It isn't as optimized as they hoped. But they will be patching it soon to address memory issues etc and hopefully adding AA.

If you have a decent PC with a good dual core or an average quad core plus a decent graphics card, you will be able to run this game to look as good as or better then the console versions.

What kind of specs do you run Brune?

l2es-brune
Planetside 2 moderator

Post by l2es-brune » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:32 pm

I don't run anywhere m8 ;)

My rigs up to the task E6850/4gb ram/8800GTS640mbOC

Not sure if i'll invest as I'm only interested in the MP aspect and at the moment I don't think we have enough members who have it.

KopMcginty

Post by KopMcginty » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:38 pm

On th ebasis I neither have it nor will have it any time soon, I here by officially declare the game to be shit and already dying.
I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that wont work.
-Thomas Edison.

l2es-brune
Planetside 2 moderator

Post by l2es-brune » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:05 pm

lol!

|2es-Cyrus_The_Virus

Post by |2es-Cyrus_The_Virus » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:57 pm

Yeah you'd be fine on medium m8 :)

Well, me, mook, mrix, Apollo and possibly Omi should have it soon :)

l2es-Chaos_King

Post by l2es-Chaos_King » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:38 pm

Sooooo. GTA4. First up Mrix, clicking on GTA4 in the forum list takes you to R6V2 (http://www.online-gaming-forums.com/forums.html) might want to fix that :D
Next, whats it really like? I remember playing vice city to death on the PS2 back when I had no life at all. I loved the radio stations so much I just used to drive around when a good song came on, forget the missions!
My break from FPS has not really encouraged me to pick them up again. I was never very good and all that dying wears a man down eventually :( But I quite fancy getting back into GTA and not wishing to fork out on yet another games console (proud owner of megadrive, PS1&2, dreamcast, PSP & Wii), the PC seems favourite. Forget what it says on the box, what would you suggest are the minimum specs?

l2es-mrix
Community Founder

re:

Post by l2es-mrix » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:12 pm

GTA4 in the forum list takes you to R6V2
Very good point and had me confused for sometime :oops: doesnt take much to be honest :lol:
Next, whats it really like?
Its really good the world as usual is huge and far more detailed than anything before in my mind anyway :D

You do need a fairly powerful system to run it though :?

On a better note they are releasing a patch very soon to help resources :D

cheers
|2es-mrix

l2es-BedlamBob

Post by l2es-BedlamBob » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:03 pm

So what specs would get you onto high settings? anyone on high here?

|2es-Cyrus_The_Virus

Post by |2es-Cyrus_The_Virus » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:26 pm

Well to run on high I'd recommend a decent quad core chip like the Q6600 (possibly OC'd) or a fast dual core chip like the E8500 (possibly OC'd), 4 gigs of ram, and a decent GFX card with 896mb memory (Geforce 260 or?).

The game looks good on medium and you can bump it up to high by turning of the restrictions if you only have a 512mb card or less.

What kind of specs are you running bob? i could take screenshots of the game on low , medium and high if you want to see. :)

I'm currently running an E8500 3.16ghz oc'd to 3.6 but can get it up to 4.2 with decent cooling. 4gb ram, geforce 260, Vista 64.
The game runs great, but if you want stuff like the view distance on 100 etc you need a serious machine, but having the view distance between 30-40 is fine.

Alot of people say this game runs better on XP because it's only a DX9 game.

l2es-BedlamBob

Post by l2es-BedlamBob » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:21 pm

My current system :D

I'm at work so dont have my notes with me, but i've a Gforce 8600 520mb gfx card, Vista 32bit and 2gb Ram & Intel Duel processor ( dunno which one ).

Can play Fallout3 / WaW / Conan on Mid settings but havent even tried Crysis or Far Cry.
Just wondered if this could run GTA or should I scrub it from my Chrissy list?
:?:

|2es-Cyrus_The_Virus

Post by |2es-Cyrus_The_Virus » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:13 pm

Keep it on your chrissy list for now bob, I'll let you know how much they improve the memory usage etc after the incoming patch is released.

Also I'll try and find the website that tells you if your computer is up to running it.

Let me know what cpu you have when you get the chance :)

Ps. i miss my ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64 :( I still play Duckhunt on the NES from time to time :D