Game Booster - Useful Utilities

Forum used as a general chat area
|2es-c010nel

Game Booster - Useful Utilities

Post by |2es-c010nel » Tue May 26, 2009 7:28 pm

Hello all, I found this useful (and better still, free) tool that shuts down all the services and background processes that you just don't need when you're purely gaming. I don't know what the rest of you generally do, but I find it a bit of a pain manually shutting down all the extra services and stuff running in the background each time I want to do a bit of gaming. Anyway, here's the URL:

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

The same people also provide a nifty (and again, free) defag tool:

http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html

Seeing as I'm behind the times, I can only verify that they play nicely with XP . :)

l2es-mrix
Community Founder

re:

Post by l2es-mrix » Tue May 26, 2009 8:41 pm

Does look interesting but it would be nice to know what services its actually shutting down while gaming etc :?
Look forward to anymore who has success when running it :D
cheers
|2es-mrix

l2es-mrix
Community Founder

re:

Post by l2es-mrix » Tue May 26, 2009 8:58 pm

Well I took a risk and tried it :wink:
It basically shows you what programs you can switch off and a list of services it disables so looks pretty good :D
cheers
|2es-mrix

l2es-BedlamBob

Post by l2es-BedlamBob » Wed May 27, 2009 9:24 am

So do you set what will be shutting for gaming, and then just have one button to do that on command?

If so, that sounds great. Did it work ok with w7 Mrix ?

l2es-mrix
Community Founder

re:

Post by l2es-mrix » Wed May 27, 2009 9:39 am

Basically the first thing it shows you is a few start up programs you may wish to add to a list to shut off like msn messanger and a few others... it even asked for my avast anitvirus but you just click of that option. Once that settings done it will kick in everytime so need to keep doing it.
The next thing is you just click a button and you see a lot of the background services shut down, I dont think you have control over this ? from looking at them they do seem like ok to be switched off.
Then at the end of you gaming just remember to click the restore to normal option.
Yes it does run on Windows 7 :D

thats it really very simple.
cheers
mrix

l2es-mrix
Community Founder

re:

Post by l2es-mrix » Wed May 27, 2009 4:41 pm

Checked the task manager today to see if there was much difference in less resources used with it switched on and the answer is yes :D
cheers
|2es-mrix

|2es-c010nel

Post by |2es-c010nel » Wed May 27, 2009 5:25 pm

When the utility starts up, it shows you a list of what are considered to be unnecessary services. You get to select/deselect these individually if you want and it will save your selections for next time to a config flie. You can manually edit the settings by choosing menu Options/Edit Service list, and this pops up the GameBooster.ini file. You can add/remove service entries and any additional programs (like your antivirus program or those annoying Adobe Acrobat updaters) here and whether or not you want them to be selected for shutdown (value=1 is selected, value=0 is not selected).

The other nice thing is that when you've finished you can just press the [Back to Normal Mode] button and it will re-start all the sevices and apps that were shutdown :)

l2es-BedlamBob

Post by l2es-BedlamBob » Thu May 28, 2009 2:14 pm

I'll just put in that I tried this last night and it works great.

Nice find c010nel
:D