New monitor - suggestions pls

Forum used as a general chat area
l2es-ElGordo

New monitor - suggestions pls

Post by l2es-ElGordo » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:47 am

As it says boys - any ideas ?

the Alienware 23" (?) one I have has packed up (first time ive had a monitor fail tbh). the card I have is quite old - gtx580 - but still not too bad I think and I don't want to go 4k

could be gearing up for a complete upgrade soon ( brace yourself Rogue :roll: ) so its gotta be reasonably good

suggestions welcome

cheers

|2es-ElGordo

l2es-brune
Planetside 2 moderator

Post by l2es-brune » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:26 pm

l2es-monkeyaidsuk

Post by l2es-monkeyaidsuk » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:41 pm

If you have plans to upgrade your graphics card then you should look at 27" 1440p monitors. Regardless of what some people say about gaming, the response times are good enough, I certainly don't notice any issues.

l2es-roguesamurai

Post by l2es-roguesamurai » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:42 pm

I like pretty girls. You can never have too much of pretty girls I don't think.
What was the question again ????
Oh yeah, monitors. There are some very nice wide 21:9 aspect ratio monitors. They are something like 2560x1080 resolution. They're more expensive and would put a bit of a strain on the card in a game like bf4 with all the bells and whistles on. But I think the kind of games your playing at the moment you won't have any trouble with. One of these would go well with the new system if you build one. Have a look at them, I know LG do one as well as Dell and Samsung.
If you don't fancy the widescreen then one of the monitors with gsync would be good. With an nvidia card it matches the screen refresh rate to the cards fps output. As fps goes up and down so does screen refresh rate. Keeping them both in sync. Not if you have any intentions of changing to an amd card though.
Can't link to any at the moment as using my phone to post this. Me and touch screens really don't get on.

l2es-roguesamurai

Post by l2es-roguesamurai » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:02 pm

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/29-lg-29 ... rt-dvi-d-2

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/29-asus- ... akersere's a few ultra wide monitors

Here's a Gsync
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-acer- ... -xb270habp

And here's an all out dogs danglies Gsync
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-asus- ... 0m1-1ms-2x

I haven't spotted any ultrawide Gsync though yet, that would be the best combination.
I think the 2 ultrawide monitors I linked to are IPS screens, which have better picture quality, colour reproduction, and contrast, but have slower refresh rates and response times. But you'd never know it, anything from 5 or even 8ms or below is fine unless you have super sensitive eyes.
The Gsync screens are TFT screens, which have higher refresh rates. Both the screens I linked to have 144hz refresh rates compared to 60hz typical for IPS. They also have 1ms response times. So they are faster at the expense of some picture quality. I dont know what your current screen is, but its likely a tft screen. The differences in refresh and response times are neglible though, its mostly down to preference. You either go for the best eye candy experience or the superfast speeds.
I have the benq that Brune linked to, its a nice monitor. I have a GTX690 so I get to make use of the 144hz refresh rate as in Bf4 with everything turned up to max I can still get anything upto 120+fps depending on how much is going on. But would be nice with an IPS to see the Frostbite graphics at there best, I've never had an ips so couldn't say what the difference is like.
Also comes down to cost, as you can see some of them are quite steep.
Ave a look at www.tomshardware.com , www.anandtech.com , or www.bit-tech.co.uk for monitor reviews. Anandtech especially is very thorough going into massive detail that I can't understand half of it, but worth reading up before buying.

l2es-roguesamurai

Post by l2es-roguesamurai » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:44 pm

l2es-ElGordo

Post by l2es-ElGordo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:02 pm

cheers for the advice boys - appreciate you taking the time - went for the wide asus - shes gonna kill me cos it looks like its gonna be enormous bu shit happens eh :roll:

edit - meant to say - as far as I cld see the asus was the only 1 with tilt/height adjust which seemed handy tbh
|2es-ElGordo

l2es-roguesamurai

Post by l2es-roguesamurai » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:36 pm

A good choice i think, an IPS panel for image quality, and 29 inches of 21:9 aspect ratio should look gorgeous with the right game. Think you should dust off bf4 to put it through its paces. Bf4 offers native support for that resolution giving you the full benefit.
If you live long enough that is, remember me in your will ;)

l2es-roguesamurai

Post by l2es-roguesamurai » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:56 pm

A good choice i think, an IPS panel for image quality, and 29 inches of 21:9 aspect ratio should look gorgeous with the right game. Think you should dust off bf4 to put it through its paces. Bf4 offers native support for that resolution giving you the full benefit.
If you live long enough that is, remember me in your will ;)

l2es-ElGordo

Post by l2es-ElGordo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:02 pm

I may be old mate but im not senile enough yet to post the same reply twice eh !!! :wink:
|2es-ElGordo

l2es-roguesamurai

Post by l2es-roguesamurai » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:05 am

Lol I meant live long enough as in if your mrs doesn't kill you for buying it like you said ha ha.
Think there something wrong with forums . When i try to post itsays ffailed to send yet the post still appears.

l2es-mrix
Community Founder

Post by l2es-mrix » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:51 pm

I notice 4K monitors are becoming affordable, here is something from overclockers being released in May 2015 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =MO-204-SA
I think 4k is my next monitor as I have a GoPro that can produce 4K and Youtube also now allow 4K uploads.
Cheers
|2es-mrix
Last edited by l2es-mrix on Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

l2es-mrix
Community Founder

Post by l2es-mrix » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:01 pm

Think there something wrong with forums . When i try to post it says failed to send yet the post still appears.
Yes I got the same thing rogue, I have now managed to fix it :!:

Cheers
|2es-mrix

l2es-brune
Planetside 2 moderator

Post by l2es-brune » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:24 pm

4k monitor for web browsing mrix? I mean it's never going to see much gaming ;) :P

l2es-mrix
Community Founder

Post by l2es-mrix » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:50 pm

4k monitor for web browsing mrix? I mean it's never going to see much gaming
bla bla bla bla bla!!!!

Cheers
|2es-mrix :lol: