Interesting DX12 Article

Forum used as a general chat area
l2es-roguesamurai

Interesting DX12 Article

Post by l2es-roguesamurai » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:46 pm

For anyone interested in some of the things DX12 will be introducing, here's a good article from Anandtech on SLI/Xfire functionality. There are basically 3 methods of using dual gpu's. The 1st is as sli/xfire works now. The 2nd is an unlinked type, not requiring the sli/xfire bridge, where similar cards from the same family are used. The 3rd is a kind of hybrid mode, where any 2 cards can be used. Such as an Nvidia and an AMD together, or a dedicated graphics card and the integrated GPU that is on most modern cpu's.
I've over simplified it by quite a lot, best to have a look through the article here - http://www.anandtech.com/show/9740/dire ... pu-preview

The part I like the most is how the integrated gpu can be made use of. It wont work in a typical sli setup way, where the load is equally split. Cards normally take it in turns to render frames. With a integrated gpu like the ones in Intel Sandybridge Ivybridge, Haswell, and the new Skylake this would not work well and would massively reduce performance. However with DX12, the Dedicated graphics card does most of the work and rendering. Then this is sent to the integrated GPU on your processor, which adds the finishing touches and sends the image off to your screen. This leaves the graphics card get on with the next frame. It wont make a huge difference, possibly 4-5 fps increase at most. But if like me you have a processor with an integrated GPU (I have a i7 4770k) which is currently doing absolutely nothing. It's a great bonus to gain those few fps for free. It would be the equivalent to overclocking the nuts off your graphics card.

l2es-ArmyMan

Post by l2es-ArmyMan » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:44 am

Its all good and fun, but there are almost no games out there that support DX12, plus all major releases this month will also not support DX12. Ark was built using DX12, but still havent released an update allowing its full potential. So I would not expect any new game using DX12 till maybe summer 2016.

l2es-roguesamurai

Post by l2es-roguesamurai » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:06 am

Will take a while for developers to start making use of it, as was the case with dx11, & 10. It places a lot more control with developers, but with that comes more work load too.
Owners of amd cards will be pleased as they are getting good performance increases from dx12.