Nvidia GTX 780 Released

PC related discussion here only.
l2es-roguesamurai

Nvidia GTX 780 Released

Post by l2es-roguesamurai » Tue May 28, 2013 6:46 pm

Now there's a headline to get Mrix's attention!!
Yep, Nvidia has released the GTX780, based around the GK110 architecture. Basically a slimmed down version of the 'Titan'. There'll be a GTX770 soon also.
Here's a review for you -
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6973/nvid ... 780-review

and overclocking results -
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6980/nvid ... ng-results

If I hadn't already bought me a new card I'd be very tempted with one of these. I'm sure AMD will be releasing their HD8000 series in the not too distant future, will be interesting to see what they can offer also. Although I believe they didn't intend to release a new card untill end 2013 early 2014.

If your after a new CPU, Intel releases the new 'Haswell' chips on June 4th, I'm waiting on these for my new pc, not long to wait now. I have everything else, just need mobo, cpu, and new headphones :D I'm like a kid waiting for Xmas :oops:

l2es-MooK

Post by l2es-MooK » Tue May 28, 2013 10:48 pm

Its very telling that this new 700 series are essentially re branded 600 cards obviously beefed up slightly.

The focus has shifted from new tech to slight improvements and improving cost. PCs are basically seeing the same effect of the new console gen . The games just dont exist to need any big power jumps So everyone is shifting over to making things more affordable but for a smaller gain in power.

Graphical enhancements are so slow from this point the hardware has been being made but no games are being made to use any of it.

Ontop of that the new consoles being basically PCs themselves will mean far superior ports that run great without the need for loads of extra power like atm. I wouldn't be surprised if we see multi platform games from this next gen of consoles running better on current pcs than allot of current gen games do.
ImageImage

l2es-Apollo

Post by l2es-Apollo » Thu May 30, 2013 6:05 pm

would love to get one but the price is to high.. i plan on getting the 680/90 when i have the cash together or when they drop the price a bit more.

l2es-roguesamurai

Post by l2es-roguesamurai » Thu May 30, 2013 11:03 pm

l2es-MooK wrote:Its very telling that this new 700 series are essentially re branded 600 cards obviously beefed up slightly..
I see where your coming from Mook, it's similar tech, but they use very different gpu's. A lot of laptop parts were simply rebranded and nothing more. They basically just swapped the labels.
But these new desktop parts use the GK110 GPU, where as the 600 series used the GK104. The GK110 is the same component used in Nvideas 'Kepler' compute cards, as found in the worlds (current) most powerfull supercomputer.
Both the 780 and 'Titan' are the exact same GPU, but with SMX clusters disbled. The Titan has 1 cluster disabled, the 780 has 2 disabled.
The days of very big leaps in gpu power are gone. But then, there was never any real big jumps for a long long time. It's been a gradual increase with each generation for a long time. A 20% increase in performance from 1 generation to another, with only a year in between is good. I think the 780 can give upto 30% increase over the 680, which is not to be sniffed at.
It's financially not viable to bring out a graphics power revolution each year, and the power use and heat generated would spiral out of control. We'd have cards that sound like a jet taking off and 1500watt psu's.
As you said, quality of graphics in games is at a slow pace. With creating new game engines costing so much and taking so much time. With the current gen of consoles, investing this time and money was a waste, as they simply could not perform well enough. Take Crysis 3, a spectacular looking game. Play this game @ 2560x1600 resolution and everything maxed out and you'll need 2 x GTX 690's to keep your fps from ever dipping below 60fps. Yet Crysis 3 doesn't make use of the full capabilites of Cryengine 3. There are things you can do through the command console etc that increase detail even further.
With the new consoles running on X86 cpu's, using fundamentally the same gpu's as our pc's. Developers should gradually be able to find far more from what we have already, plus plenty extra for what we dont yet have.
AMD's HD8000 are rumoured for a 3rd/4th quarter release time, promissing a 30% increase in performnace over the current 7000 cards. If rumours are to be believed.

l2es-roguesamurai

Post by l2es-roguesamurai » Thu May 30, 2013 11:29 pm

l2es-Apollo wrote:would love to get one but the price is to high.. i plan on getting the 680/90 when i have the cash together or when they drop the price a bit more.
WAIT !! Stop the press !!
The GTX770 has been revealed also. Now this IS a rebranded part. A rebranded GTX 680. They have increased the clock and memory speeds of the 680, as well as giving it higher voltages and a higher TDP. It'll overclock better than the 680's given this also.
So Apollo, if your thinking of a 680, might be worth holding out for one of these for the right price. I wouldn't go paying much more than a 680 though as that would be madness, there are some pretty highly overclocked 680's out there such as the Asus GTX 680 Direct CUII (pref the 'TOP' version if you can get one). A very quiet card too.
You may well see cards branded as 600 series coming down in price a bit over the next month or so.
There wont be a 790 though imo. As 2 x GK110 gpu's on one card would require too much power and produce too much heat. The 'Titan' is the new 690 (kind of). Unless they rebrand the 690 as a 790. So if your after a 690, things wont change much there. I suspect in a few months they'll fit 2 of the 'new' 770 gpu's to make a GTX790, but at that level it wont make much difference.
Ps. I have the 690, can't wait to put it in my new pc. It's just sitting there doing nothing at the mo :(

l2es-Apollo

Post by l2es-Apollo » Fri May 31, 2013 12:58 pm

cheers rogue,

i'll wait for a bit as i have until september. This is when total war rome II is due to come out :)