Nintendo announces new console, the Wii U

Only for the discussion for the Gaming Console Nintendo Wii

Moderator: l2es-darfvader

l2es-roguesamurai

Nintendo announces new console, the Wii U

Post by l2es-roguesamurai » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:05 am

Nintendo has officially announced its new console at E3 named the Wii U. Its very uurmmm... different.
A lot of comments i've read by people aren't very positive at all, but I dont agree, I can see the point of it and I think with the right games it could work well.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia ... oller.html

Basically, the controller has a built in 6.5" touchscreen that can display the game your playing on it, so ne need to sit in front of tv (but has to be within range of the console itself). Or the console can output the image to the tv in full HD. The controllers display can display other stuff like ammo etc.
The constroller will prob also double up as a kind of tablet accessing internet through the console.
It'll be fully backwards compatible with Wii games and controllers as well as gamecube games.
Nothing confirmed for what hardware it'l use, but rumoured gpu is based on the ATI 4870, and cpu will prob be an IBM at around 3.5GHZ, with 1 gig ram.

Honelith

Post by Honelith » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:44 am

Somehow Nintendo will make it work. Good on them for innovation.

l2es-MooK

Post by l2es-MooK » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:55 am

IM behind them all the way allways have been. Until it comes we wont know the scope of what can be done with it. And its pointless listning to the 360 fanboys online who are so desperate and sad at microsofts failier this year theyve got nothing to do but come online and troll the other 2 consoles.

Withought nintedo things would be very diffrent today most of the games we hold dear exist because of nintendo being willing to take risks and try new things. Usualy things that are adopted by the other consoles or the masses the world over.

We will see what happens im a big believer in love the games not the consoles. The games dictate if a console succeeds or not. As it stands dispite the whole PSN crisis playstaiton are realy holding all the cards now. PS Vita looks incredible a handheld with PS3 graphics is just insane and all the other featues i can tell its going to be huge as much as i love the nintendo handhelds i think they are about to lose the market to sony.

And on the PS3 soooo many amazing exlusives uncarted 3 looking incredible . I want nintendo to succeed but the problem they have now is they need to relearn how to make games in a HD world. They have no experiance with modern graphics abbilities . Dont get me wrong they have amazing art design and tihngs like metorid prime still look great to this day. Im just worried now they have a HD Home console they wont know what to do with its power for there 1st party games.
ImageImage

l2es-GrIm
SWTOR Moderator
Location: 6 boring street in the town of boring county boring

Post by l2es-GrIm » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:04 am

imo consoles are dying out and i expect within the next 10-20years the consoles will be gone all together the reason for that is mobile phones you can get so many games now on the phones that look good and are genuinely fun to play and hugely addicting and most often there free and portable a console while being the 1st 3 can never be free/portable i have a ps3 and i hav spent more time playing angry birds + other games on my android phone in the last 2 months then i have on my ps3 in the last 3 years

i personally don't intend to get a console again after the ps3 i have as i just don't see the point anymore if i really want to sit and play a game i will play pc

i have an article from den of geek explaining this unfortunatly the site has gone down and i cant get on it at the moment

as to my opinion on weather the wii u is good or not i personally (surprise surprise) hate it

the Sony/Microsoft controllers are nice they fit in your hand there easy to use for the most part
the controller for the wii u are crap i can tell by the picture ur hands will get tired holding it after five minutes for a company like Nintendo who innovated the console market with the wii and its sensors i think this is a rushed half baked concept built on the failures of both the 3ds and lack of hd games on the wii i don't think this console will survive i dont think it will be popular and i for one am not getting one

plus the name wiiu is crap i mean lets play rhymes with it

wii u

rhymes with

wii 2

but it also rhymes with

wii poo

sorry just pointing it out
YOU CANT ESCAPE POLITICS YOU EITHER PLAY OR YOU GET PLAYED
- Henrietta "Hetty" Lange ncis la character
fav song of the moment
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Er6l7UOnbI[/youtube]

l2es-MooK

Post by l2es-MooK » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:07 am

These little phone games like angry birds are popular and addictive. But thats all they are little games to play on the bus or for five minutes at home. There never going to be a replacement for proper games with proper gaming controls. Besides you get what you pay for, these iphone games cost a pound because they are there to ditract you for five minutes not be serious long term games like Bf3 or COD.

Keep in mind PC Gaming and cosole gaming is exactly the same thing just diffrent formats both are not mobile and its pretty clear from recent years which one is going the way of the dodo weather we like it or not. (hint its not the consoles :cry: ) . In regard to the Wii U i just dont know, as it stands i will prob for the first time not be buying a nintendo console . However that all depends on the PS4 and how far away that is.

If our fate is for the industry to give up making beatifull games like uncharted and BF3 and replace them with these 1 pound games kill me now please :lol: .

Ofcourse the Iphone era taking over from the likes of the gaming handheld is a diffrent dicussion. Pesonally myself ive got no interest in playing games soley on a touch screen for example . I want to play my handheld games properly with proper controls. Using the likes of the 3DS and VITA, proper dedicated gaming devices.

Id much rather see VITA and 3DS adopt the abbilities of the Iphone then have it the other way around.That way we still get the great games made by these guys and also get to play with all the funky mess arround stuff to.
ImageImage

l2es-GrIm
SWTOR Moderator

Post by l2es-GrIm » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:03 pm

l2es-roguesamurai

Post by l2es-roguesamurai » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:42 pm

I have to agree with Mook, I dont see the consoles going anywhere for a long long time. PS3 and Xbox were built with a ten yr life cycle in mind. However Sony have confirmed that they are working on the PS4, and Microsoft wwas hiring people a few months back to work on their next gen console. However neither will appear before 2014 imo. Nintendo releasing this has maybe given them a bit of a push though. The Wii U will be more powerfull that either the PS3 or Xbox, however, if the rumoured hardware is true, then it wont be a lot more powerfull.
Sony is using a much lower budget for PS4 as it spent unthinkable amounts of money on the PS3. But the PS3 is quite powerfull. With a similar cpu to what its using now, maybe shrunk a little with a slight increase in performance, and a better DX11 equivilant GPU it'll be a powerfull machine.
I think the Wii U could suprise a lot of people and be a good success. It has no real competition for the next 2-4 yrs other than the current consoles, which everyone already owns and are getting long in the tooth. Dont forget Grim, all the Wii's controllers etc will work on the Wii U. You wont have to use the big controller all the time, if you wanna use something else you can. For some games I think it will work really well. When the Wii was released it was completely over shadowed by the other 2 consoles. Its hardware was way behind them. Yet it sold gazillions. Because the games for it were genious. I play Mario Kart with little Rogue, and I gotta admit, it f^&k$n ACE !!! It has terrible graphics, a stick controller, no super fast supercars, yet its really good fun. Nintendo is the master of fun.
Also I think mobile phone games may actually increase popularity of console games, as they get people gaming who would never usually be interested in it. Then as we all know, once your addicted thats it. You want bigger and better games, and only consoles and pc can provide these.

l2es-roguesamurai

Post by l2es-roguesamurai » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:12 pm

l2es-MooK

Post by l2es-MooK » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:35 pm

I said that i want portable gaming to stay in the form of the VITA and that i would prefer vita to adopt things like mini games and being able to phone. Just so that you can still use gaming controls like an anolog stick and shoulder buttons ETC thats fine. If its done the other way round it doesnt work with full on proper games cause they cant be played with a touch screen alone.

Aslong as we live at home and not in the wilderness mobile gaming is no threat to home gaming both can co exist no problem they fit 2 diffrent roles. None wants to play there big blockbuster games like uncharted or ssassin creed on a little screen they want it on a whopping gert 52 inch screen :lol: . I love both home gaming and portable and im cirtainly behind Vita from what we have seen it looks very impressive and its gonna be difficult not to go for it .

Your right that times are changing ofcourse i mean who knows. i just meant that people love to have there games on the big screen while chilling on the sofa / bed.We are all gamers and i just want gaming to get better and better in whatever form it takes. Theres plenty of room for all these types of entertainment to coexist.

With the Wii U who knows i could be a blowout success again because of backward compatability and the option of all the controls. And like rogue said at this point the PS4 has no news and could be another 3 years or even 4 leaving a massive void for the Wii U to snap tons and tons of gamers now it can play multi platform games like the other 2 in full HD.

The only half relevent info on the fox news thing was at the end about having one single console sometime in the future playing all games rather than having few exclusives and the rest be the same. Could happen one day but not till things get realy dire for each individual company. But the horseshit comming from that Mark Ormand was just pathetic.
Just cause one dickwad would rather play on his Iphone doesnt mean we all want to give up the beatifull games that are only getting better on our Vitas and PS3's. Hes just missing out on the great stuff out there , im betting hes one of these idiots that only plays call of duty and ignores all the other amazing gaming experiences he could be having.

And yea rogue your right nintendo remebers the princible factor of what gaming should be ... FUN !!. When we all take it ultra serious and forget about why we play games in the first place its all bad. Ive never seen what people mean when they say nintendo are the kid freindly console since when has graphics had anything to do with anything. MAny of the best games of this gen are on wii such as the metroid prime trilogy and the mario galaxy games. Mario being ridiculously hard even the best of gamers would struggle to get all the stars, it puts all my PS3 games to shame in terms of difficulty.

Gameplay is the core and is all that matters in the end all of the games in my life that ive spent tons of time on , world of warcraft , minecraft , world of tanks to name a few are by no means a graphical benchmark but they were incredible to play. Crysis is still the benchmark till BF3 and ive played that for barely anytime cause the multiplayer sucked and the singleplayer was pretty shoddy to. (warhead was great though). It just proves graphics are meaningless to long term injoyment of a game.

All i realy care about is HD ZELDA OH HELL YEA ABOUT DAMB TIME.
ImageImage

l2es-Justme

Post by l2es-Justme » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:02 pm

wow a tablet style gaming device u hold in your hands and play hd games on with the ability to play them on the tv screen aswell what am inavative product!

not taking ideas from the the ipad and apple tv and throwing them together in one of the ugliest anemic etch-a-sketch style baby toys ever.

oh wait...

its like they looked at the ipad and thought wait that looks too usefull lets take away some features and then they saw the psp and said hey thats way too small (even though there using a screen not much bigger) lets add a cheap chunky white plastic baby toy style surround.

they basically went bankrupt before the wii and the wii-u looks like a good way to take them back to near failure

oh and of course if its not as good as other consoles no worry just use there footage to show it off

link - Nintendo wiiu / ps3 / xbox
Nintendo admits its Wii U highlight reel was spiced up with PS3 and Xbox 360 footage

l2es-MooK

Post by l2es-MooK » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:23 am

Wel as it stands Wii U is a powerfull HD console with numerous meand of control and options . With likely most if not all muliti platform games and ofcourse there usual great games ontop finaly in HD.

Yea its obviiously this Ipad style but i think its fair nintedo can put there own twist on an idea like everyones been doing to them for years. Still nintedo fan as i am PS Vita stole the show easily for me with the games to back is up its going to do extremely well particually priced so low for what it is.
ImageImage

l2es-roguesamurai

Post by l2es-roguesamurai » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:43 pm

Justme, such a cynic :wink:
I can see your point, but, so many products effectively 'borrow' ideas from other products. Every tablet out there is a copy of the Ipad. You could say that most smart phones are a copy of the iphone. The xbox was copying the ps2, the ps1 was taking the idea of a games console from the sega mega drive, and so on. I think what Nintendo have done is take a lot of ideas and put them all together. If you wanna lie in your bed and play a game PSP style you can, if you wanna play fifa 12 with a few mates round in full HD on your 50' LED tv you can. If you still love a bit of Mario Kart or Donkey Kong you can play them. If you want to use your Wii balance board and do a bit of Wii fit then that will work too. With some good games to back it up, I think it could work well.
There are however a lot of sceptics, Nintendo's shares dropped to their lowest price for 5 yrs after they revealed the Wii U. Not what they'd hoped for I suspect.
There have been quite a few games announced that will release with it. The games will make or break it. I can see the appeal of it though, and its currently on Little-Rogue's Xmas 2012 list for now. He loves his Xbox and his Wii, this will do what both of them can do and some more.
But....... then again, he already has a Wii and an Xbox 360, the only thing he hasn't got is the hand held one. I could get the Vita for much less than a Wii U. 8O :? :? :?

l2es-GrIm
SWTOR Moderator

Post by l2es-GrIm » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:53 pm

ok the problem i have with the wiiu is that the xbox and playstation controllers are quite cheap any where from 15 to 30 pounds i have seen

but a controller for the wiiu which has a touch screen in and a camera i am sorry but i dont see that being cheap not at all i would say that alone probs 100 quid
YOU CANT ESCAPE POLITICS YOU EITHER PLAY OR YOU GET PLAYED
- Henrietta "Hetty" Lange ncis la character
fav song of the moment
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Er6l7UOnbI[/youtube]

l2es-roguesamurai

Post by l2es-roguesamurai » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:09 pm

Yes that could be a problem. Although only 1 of these controllers can be used at once on the console, if it gets broken, it'll be costly.
I can see quite a few of these being broke in fits of rage, especially with the touch screen.

l2es-MooK

Post by l2es-MooK » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:48 pm

Yea they will be costly i reckon atleast the 80 quid mark if not more. Ofcourse im thinking youl only use 1 and the Wii mote will still be used alot in most games and prob the gamecube controller will be to.

Im not suprised however that there shares dropped so much. Sony and xbox are offering everything nintendo is and then some bar the few great first party games. Not to mention they both have fully set up mordern online options which is so important now. nintendo needs to get rid of this stupid freind code nonsense and start joining the online world in a modern way ,with proper easy to use freind lists and messaging on the console.

Right now im sad to say even the huge nintendo lover i am, im thinking if i buy this thing il be gettting it for zelda and mario and ... o yea nothin. They are oferring now the multi platform games like arkhum city but well the PS3 does that allready and ive allreay got it.

Ill allmost cirtainly be getting the vita its looks to dam good and very sexy looking to. How can i resist the likes of god of wr and uncharted with such beatiful graphics on a handheld and Little big planet looks incredibly fun to play its practicall the perfect mobile game.
ImageImage